Monday, September 27, 2010

Early One Morning

Early one morning, just as the sun was rising
I heard a young maid sing in the valley below:
Oh, don't deceive me, oh, never leave me
How could you use a poor maiden so?

Remember the vows that you made to me me truly?
Remember how tenderly you nestled close to me?
Gay is the garland, fresh are the roses
I brought from my garden to bind over thee.

Through yonder grove by the spring that is running,
There you and I have so merrily played:
Kissing and courting, and gently sporting
Oh, my innocent heart you've betrayed

Here I now wander alone as I wonder:
Why did you leave me to sigh and complain?
I ask of the roses, why should I be forsaken?
Why must I here in sorrow remain?

Soon you will meet with another pretty maiden -
Some pretty maiden, you'll court her for a while
Thus ever ranging, turning and changing
Always seeking for a girl that is new

Thus sung the maiden, her sorrows bewailing
Thus sung the maid in the valley below -
Oh, don't deceive me, oh, never leave me
How could you use a poor maiden so?

No comments:

Post a Comment