Monday, September 27, 2010

The Turtledove

Fare thee well, my dear, I must be gone
And leave you for a while
If I roam away, I'll come back again
Though I roam ten thousand miles, my dear
Though I roam ten thousand miles

Ten thousand mile it is a long way
To leave me here alone,
To leave me here to sigh and complain
Where you never will hear my moans, my dear,
Where you never will hear my moans.

Your moans, my dear, I shall never hear,
No likewise none of your crying.
If I go away, I'll come back again
When from your friends you're free, my dear,
When from your friends you're free.

Oh, these of my friends, they never should have been
They were growing so lofty and high
But I never will prove false to the bonnie lad I love
Till the stars fall from the sky, my dear
Till the stars fall from the sky

The sea will never run dry my dear
And the rocks never melt in the sun
But I never will prove false to the bonnie lass I love
Till all these things be done, my dear
Till all these things be done.

Oh yonder sits that little turtledove
He doth sit on yonder high tree
A-making a moan for the loss of his love
As I shall do for thee, my dear
As I shall do for thee

Fare thee well, my dear
Fare thee well, my dear
Fare well

No comments:

Post a Comment